Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Rachel + Steve. A proposal.

Oh, you guys. This post makes me melt. It will make you melt too but there is a rule for viewing this post... take your time. Scroll through slowly :)

This is the most emotional session I've ever shot, and for good reason. Rachel has been my best friend since middle school. We have been through the ups and downs of life together and she has always been there for me, and I for her. I am so happy for them.

Now for the story... I was so incredibly excited when Steve and I started talking about the possibility of me secretly shooting the actual proposal. At first, he told me that it would be a few weeks as he had to have some repairs done to his great-grandma's ring for Rachel. Then I received a text Thursday night. The proposal would take place early Saturday morning, on Rachel's birthday...

001

Steve, Alaina, and I arrived a couple of hours early to set up the balloons.

002

003

004

Then Steve made the phone call. He told Rachel to wake up and get ready for a birthday breakfast, then meet him in the park down the street from her apartment...

005

006

007

Steve couldn't stop messing with the ring while we were waiting :)

008

Then Alaina and I hid in the bushes... I'm pretty sure we were just as nervous as Steve! Ok, maybe not quite as nervous.

009

At this point, Rachel still thought this was just a birthday surprise...

010

At this point, she figured out it was not :)

011

Perfection.

012

013

After the question was asked, and the answer was "yes", they hugged for a long time. I whispered to Alaina "awww, she loves him". And then I cried some more.

014

I love how Steve looked over at us, and the walkers in the background are clapping.

016

017

018

019

020

Then Steve told Rachel we were in the bushes and we got to come out to congratulate :)

021

022

023

Mini engagement session!

024

I love all the emotion in these shots.

025

026

027

Adorable.

028

029

030

031

032

Good idea on the balloons, Steve. LOVE it.

033

034

035

036

037

038

039

041

042

She loves him.

040

043

044

045

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Alexa, for exercising your prodigious talent on behalf of my beautiful daughter and her brilliant husband-to-be! Rachel is surrounded by love...and you captured that on camera.

Judy Rozema said...

I cannot tell you how much these pictures mean to our family. Since we live so far away, we miss out on so many events in Steve's life. You have beautifully captured a joyful moment that we are so pleased to be able to share through your incredible talent. Thank you!

Rebecca Fleming said...

Oh. My. Cuteness!
These are so cute. I got a little choked up, not gonna lie.
Love the balloons. And love the hidden photog. And the people in the background cheering them on. Amazing. Adorable.
I want my proposal photographed ...

Sarah said...

Oh, these are just great!! I seriously teared up. =) The balloons were such a great idea. I so love that you hid in the bushes to catch those moments. Perfection. =)

That has to have been her best birthday ever!

Monica Hunter said...

Absolute PERFECTION!!

Craig said...

awesome, just awesome.

Stacy Morgan said...

This is so sweet and witnessed as if we were there. You did a fantastic job. Congrats to the new couple!

Debra said...

Wow, this was a treat! Fabulous photography and what a great idea Steve had! The balloons were perfect and Rachel will never forget this birthday for sure! And to be able to photograph all that was really special. Thanks so much for posting this.

Carolyn de Berry Photography said...

Oh, Alexa, you are too good! These are so beautiful. I guarantee you are going to start getting a lot of calls from people wanting this from you! Genius, my friend, and beautifully executed. The balloons are too perfect and the people clapping are too perfect and your friends are just lovely. Congrats to them and to you for getting "THE moment"!